Assure every client that she is welcome to come back any time—for example, if she has problems, questions, or wants another method; she has any major change in health status; or she thinks she might be pregnant. Also if:
- She has difficulty using female condoms correctly or every time she has sex.
- She recently had unprotected sex and wants to avoid pregnancy. She may be able to use ECPs (see Emergency Contraceptive Pills).
|How Can a Partner Help?
The client’s partner is welcome to participate in counseling and learn about the method and what support he can give to his partner. A male partner can:
- Support a woman’s choice of the female condom
- Discuss and agree to use the female condom with a full understanding of how to use it
- Ensure that they use it every time, and correctly (for example, making sure that he inserts penis inside the condom and not between the condom and vaginal wall)
- Help to keep a supply on hand
- Help to make sure she has ECPs on hand in case the condom is not used or used correctly