CHAPTER 5 - Monthly Injectables
- Monthly injectables contain 2 hormones—a progestin and an estrogen—like the natural hormones progesterone and estrogen in a woman’s body. (Combined oral contraceptives also contain these 2 types of hormones.)
- Also called combined injectable contraceptives, CICs, the injection.
- Information in this chapter applies to medroxyprogesterone acetate (MPA)/estradiol cypionate and to norethisterone enanthate (NET-EN)/estradiol valerate. The information may also apply to older formulations, about which less is known.
- MPA/estradiol cypionate is marketed under the trade names Ciclofem, Ciclofemina, Cyclofem, Cyclo-Provera, Feminena, Lunella, Lunelle, Novafem, and others. NET-EN/estradiol valerate is marketed under the trade names Mesigyna and Norigynon.
- Work primarily by preventing the release of eggs from the ovaries (ovulation).