- Bleeding changes are common but not harmful. Typically, irregular bleeding for the first several months and then no monthly bleeding.
- Return for injections regularly. Coming back every 3 months (13 weeks) for DMPA or every 2 months for NET-EN is important for greatest effectiveness.
- Injection can be as much as 4 weeks late for DMPA or 2 weeks late for NET-EN. Client should come back even if later.
- Gradual weight gain is common.
- Return of fertility is often delayed. It takes several months longer on average to become pregnant after stopping progestin-only injectables than after other methods.