CHAPTER 6 - Combined Patch: Only the Essentials
- A small, thin, square of flexible plastic worn on the body.
- Continuously releases 2 hormones—a progestin and an estrogen, like the natural hormones progesterone and estrogen in a woman’s body—directly through the skin into the bloodstream.
- A new patch is worn every week for 3 weeks, then no patch for the fourth week. During this fourth week the woman will have monthly bleeding.
- Also called Ortho Evra and Evra.
- Works primarily by preventing the release of eggs from the ovaries (ovulation).