CHAPTER 14 - Female Condoms
This chapter describes plastic (synthetic) female condoms.
- Sheaths, or linings, that fit loosely inside a woman's vagina, made of thin, transparent, soft plastic film.
- Have flexible rings at both ends
- One ring at the closed end helps to insert the condom
- The ring at the open end holds part of the condom outside the vagina
- Different brand names include Care, Dominique, FC Female Condom, Femidom, Femy, Myfemy, Protectiv', Reality and Woman's Condom.
- Lubricated with a silicone-based lubricant on the inside and outside.
- Rubber female condoms are available in some countries. Different brand names include: L'amour, Reddy Female Condom, V Amour, and VA w.o.w. Condom Feminine, which are made of latex, and the FC 2 Female Condom, made of nitrile.
- Work by forming a barrier that keeps sperm out of the vagina, preventing pregnancy. Also keep infections in semen, on the penis, or in the vagina from infecting the other partner.